The majority of sponsors require that proposals be submitted via an electronic portal. The OSP is responsible for all electronic submissions, and determining how the submission is done depends on the sponsor.
Please see the table below for specific information about each sponsors requirements.
Proposal Submission System
PI Uploads to Proposal
PI Grants OSP Access to Proposal
|Office of Naval Research (ONR)||Grants.gov||X||X|
|NOAA||Grants.gov||X||X||NOAA Grants Online|
|HRSA||Grants.gov||X||X||Electronic Handbook (EHB)|
|Dept. of Education||Grants.gov||X||X|
|Dept. of Justice||Grants.gov||X||X|
|American Heart Association||Grants@Heart||X||X||X||Grants@Heart|
|DOE EERE Exchange||EERE Exchange||X||X||X||EERE Exchange|
- Some proposal submission systems (e.g. Grants.gov, proposalCENTRAL) are submission portals only, and are not sponsor systems. Also, some sponsors have their own systems which receive applications from Grants.gov. These systems may or may not be used by UT Knoxville personnel.
- OSP registers the PI in Fastlane; passwords must be reset by the individual user, not OSP.
- Some pre-proposals/letters of intent/white papers are submitted by the PI, not OSP. Refer to solicitation guidelines for appropriate action.
- PI must register in eRA Commons.
- Some proposalCENTRAL proposals are submitted by PI, not OSP. Refer to solicitation guidelines for appropriate action.
For NASA proposals, researchers must register in NSPIRES and request affiliation with the University of Tennessee. OSP confirms or denies affiliations.
The application process includes the PI completing all elements in the system, including the Proposal Summary, Business Data, Budget, Program Specific Data, and Proposal Team.
Investigators must upload their final proposal as an attachment and link their proposals to allow OSP to view. To allow OSP to submit, they must “lock” their proposals in NSPIRES.
When routing your NASA application in Cayuse SP, don’t forget to download a PDF copy of the application from ROSES and attach it.
This will be used by campus and OSP during the review process.
National Science Foundation (NSF)
Principal Investigator’s will need to be registered in Fastlane in order to prepare and submit proposals. OSP has the ability to register PI’s as well as department administrators.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request an account.
The NSF website has detailed instructions for proposal preparation.
Once the PI has completed the proposal in Fastlane the PI will allow “SRO access” which gives OSP the ability to see the proposal and will review and submit to NSF.
When routing your NSF application in Cayuse SP, don’t forget to download a PDF copy of the application from Fastlane and attach it. This will be used by campus and OSP during the review process.
Foundations using proposalCENTRAL
ProposalCENTRAL is a portal system used by many non-profit organizations.
Principal Investigator’s must create their own account on the proposalCENTRAL website.
The PI can give department staff access to relevant proposals in the system.
All proposals must be routed to OSP to be submitted on behalf of the UT. To give OSP access follow the following steps:
- Log into proposalCENTRAL and open the relevant proposal
- From left hand side of screen select ‘Enable Other Users to Access this proposal’
- To add OSP, go to the end of the screen and in the ‘User Selector’ box type ‘email@example.com’ Then select ‘find user’.
- David Smelser will appear above in the ‘Proposal Access Rights’ box
- Type his role into the relevant box – i.e. Business/Signing Official
- From the ‘Permissions’ drop down on the right hand side of the screen select ‘Administrator’
- The user also has the option to have auto notifications for this proposal sent to OSP by ticking the ‘Auto Notify’ check box.
- Select ‘Accept Changes’ and it is done.
If the proposal is required to be submitted via e-mail, the OSP can submit the proposal at the PI’s request. If the PI prefers to submit the proposal directly, he or she should wait for confirmation from OSP that the proposal has been reviewed and approved.
Hard Copy Submission
There are some sponsors that will require a paper submission of the proposal. The PI is responsible for all hard copy submissions to the sponsor. OSP will notify the PI after the proposal has been reviewed and will give the PI the go ahead to submit the proposal.